15 Fabulous Ideas for the Ultimate Vintage Wedding Theme
I think it’s fair to say that my love of vintage inspired weddings knows no bounds! I also know I’m definitely not the only one who’s inspired by the glamorous and beautiful eras of the past. Vintage inspired weddings are as popular as ever and today, I’m going to share 15 must haves for the ultimate vintage wedding.
1. A fabulous venue is an absolute essential and the right spot will provide the perfect backdrop. Historic house and estates are brilliant options but don’t forget the more quirky locations such as piers, theatres and even museums.
2. Bridal designers are definitely in love with vintage too so it’s easier than ever before to find a wedding dress that suits your theme. From embellished Art Deco gowns to short Sixties styles, every style is out there.
3. Don’t forget to make sure that your shoes work with the era you’ve chosen too. A little bit of research on Pinterest will ensure that the footwear is perfect for the period you’ve chosen.
4. Of course, Glitzy Secrets is THE place to find the best vintage inspired wedding accessories. My favourite has to be the Vintage Wreath tiara that you might just recognise from Downton Abbey.
5. Your bridesmaids’ dresses should also be working the vintage vibe. I love mix-and-match bridesmaids for a little extra pop of personality and again, Pinterest is full of inspiration for you here too.
6. When guests receive their wedding invitation, it’s the first hint they’ll have about the theme and style of your wedding so make sure your wedding stationery hints at the brilliance that’s to come!
7. Whilst we’re talking about stationery, the font that you choose is also really important. Almost every decade has a very distinct style so take a little time to select a typeface that works with the era you’ve chosen.
8. Using a literary quote or two can also be a great idea. We all associate ‘The Great Gatsby’ with 1920s weddings and every decade has iconic novels that are full of fabulous quotes you can borrow.
9. Your theme should certainly inspire the look of your reception tables. Choose a suitable colour scheme and floral arrangements and don’t forget to look around for companies who can provide you with special details.
10. Period props will add a little extra wow factor to your wedding. Typewriters, furniture, gramophones or jukeboxes are all lots of fun and they really help ‘join up’ your theme.
Images: Top Row Left via The Knot | Top Row Middle via Weddingstar | Top Row Right via Rock My Wedding | Bottom Row Left via Green Wedding Shoes | Bottom Row Middle via Ruffled | Bottom Row Right via Chic Vintage Brides
11. Adding in a few colourful touches to your day is really simple and can make a big difference to the look of your wedding. Spray painting frames or bottles or making your own wedding favours are popular DIYs.
12. Every guest at your wedding will certainly check out your table plan so create something that’s totally perfect for your theme. Simply using the right fonts and colours works well or you could think outside the box – how about vintage records for a 1950s or 60s wedding for example?
13. Make sure that you arrive (and depart!) in style with period transport. Old cars, camper vans, vintage buses or even decorated bicycles can all play their part in bringing your theme to life.
14. Working with a cake maker who can include your theme in the design of your wedding cake is another great idea. Your cake is another unmissable element of your day so don’t miss the opportunity to decorate it accordingly!
15. Finally, an on-theme tipple is a must for those celebratory drinks! Decadent champagne towers or classic cocktails are popular but don’t rule out alternatives – milkshakes, sodas, spirits or even a good old cup of tea for 1940s style weddings can all be enjoyed by your guests.
Images: Top Row Left via Country House Wedding Venues | Top Row Middle via Ruffled (as before) | Top Row Right via My London Wedding Planner | Bottom Row Left via Love My Dress (as before) | Bottom Row Right via You and Your Wedding